In Alberta, the legislation regulating the profession of midwifery requires that a person must be registered with the College of Midwives of Alberta and hold a valid Practice Permit to practice midwifery. Midwives are also required to have liability insurance. For information regarding liability insurance, and to apply for courses of care, contact the Alberta Association of Midwives (AAM).   A Registered Midwife MUST ALSO hold a valid PRACTICE PERMIT in order to provide midwifery services in Alberta.


Routes to Alberta Midwifery Registration:

1) Canadian Education Qualifications


An applicant must:

  • have successfully completed an approved program* of midwifery studies;
  • have successfully completed practice requirements as set out in the Midwives Profession Regulation (sec 3);
  • have successfully completed the approved examinations;
  • have
    • completed the above requirements within two years of application, or
    • completed an approved refresher program within one year of application
  • hold valid certification in neonatal resuscitation, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, managing obstetrical emergencies and Fetal Health Surveillance.

*Approved program means educational programs approved by the College of Midwives of Alberta.  There are several Canadian midwifery programs that have been approved. These include programs at University of British Columbia, McMaster University, Ryerson University and Laurentian University (Ontario) and Universite de Trois-Rivieres (Quebec) and Mount Royal University (Calgary).

For Registration a New Graduate must submit:

  • Proof of successful completion of Canadian Midwifery Registration Exam
  • If a Registered Student with CMA - please use the change of registration form in the member section
  • If a graduate of an out of province program please use the "Application" button at the top of the page. 
  • Original documentation of graduation, including transcript and clinical records
  • Current Certification in CPR, Obstetrical Emergency Skills, Neonatal Resuscitation and Fetal Health Surveillance (through Perinatal Services BC)
  • Provide a current criminal record with vulnerable sector check (within 1 year )
  • Registration application fee
  • Practice Permit fee

2) Registration with another Canadian Regulatory body

   Under the agreement for mobility between Canadian Regulators, a midwife who is registered in one Province may apply for registration in another Canadian jurisdiction. 

  • Submit an Application for new registration through the "application" button on the top of the page
  • Letter of Professional Standing from the provincial regulatory body
  • Current certification in CPR, Obstetrical Emergency Skills, NRP and Fetal Health Surveillance (through Perinatal Services BC)
  • Provide a current criminal record with vulnerable sector check (within 1 year)
  • Registration application fee
  • Practice Permit fee

Midwives applying from other Canadian Jurisdictions after December 2018 will be required to complete the Culture and Jurisprudence Examination.   The exam link will be sent to you once your application has been received.

3) Internationally Educated Midwives

Please note: Midwives must have the ability to communicate effectively with other caregivers, facilitating referral, consultation and collaboration when appropriate. As such, Candidates for PLEA MUST meet minimum English Language Standards to be considered (see Guide to Application for Assessment, Section G) 

Internationally educated and experienced Midwifes may have their Prior Learning and Experience assessed to determine substantial equivalence to the Canadian requirements.  There are a number of steps involved in the process:

1) Apply to an independent Qualification / Education assessment service: WES, IQAS or ICAS to have your education documents reviewed and sent to the CMA

2) Complete the  Competency Assessment Tool  and the  PLEA application  and submit with payment

3) Complete the three components of the Examination Process: Culture and Jurisprudence  exam,  Canadian Midwifery Registration Exam and the OSCE

4) Results of these three are reviewed by the Registration Committee and a ruling is made regarding eligibility for Registration.  Registration DOES NOT allow a midwife to start practice.

Once approved for registration, a new midwife will look for a placement in Alberta with an established practice, and  join the Alberta Association of Midwives to obtain insurance.  Then apply to the CMA for a Practice Permit. 

Once the Practice Permit is granted the midwife may begin practice and must apply for Privileges through Alberta Health Services and obtain a PracID from Alberta Health.


Powered by in1touch